Hospitals in Barcelona are surrounded by great education opportunities
The quality of the Spanish healthcare system is excellent. It is highly ranked among the bests in the world. The system is well-funded and it has a large network of hospitals and clinics.
Barcelona is one of the Spanish cities that shine in the hospital’s innovation environment.
A city full of opportunities for future medical doctors
One of the main advantages for medical students in Barcelona is the availability of hospitals where they can do their medical student internships. For instance:
- The University of Barcelona has a campus within the Hospital Clinic, one of the best hospitals in Barcelona.
- If you are studying pediatric medicine, you have the great opportunity to do an internship at the Sant Joan de Deu Children’s Hospital. You can find a lot of information in the education section of their website.
- Neurology and neurosurgery students have great opportunities to improve their skills at the Institut Guttmann Neurorehabilitation Hospital, which has an agreement with the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Future Urology doctors receive the best practical training in the teaching area of the Puigvert Foundation.
- Hospital Universitari Dexeus also has the word university in its name, in agreement with the UAB they offer an internship for doctors with more than 3 specialties:
- Anesthesia, Resuscitation and Pain Therapy
- Gynecology, Obstetrics and Reproductive Medicine
- Orthopedic Surgery, Traumatology and Sports Medicine.
The Dexeus Hospital has a website dedicated entirely to training opportunities through master’s and doctoral programs.
So if you are willing to study medicine or improve your knowledge in the most innovative medical techniques, Barcelona is a great place to go.
Medical degrees and bachelor’s degrees in Barcelona
Education is always the beginning for excellence in any field. Barcelona has 5 different universities to study medicine and become a doctor, 3 public and 2 private:
Public medical universities in Barcelona
- University of Barcelona
The University of Barcelona is one of the largest universities in Barcelona. It has more than 80,000 students and offers a wide range of medical programs. It is also a highly respected university, and has been ranked among the top 100 universities in the world.
- Pompeu Fabra University
Pompeu Fabra University is another well-respected university in Barcelona. It has a student population of over 30,000 and offers a wide range of programs, including medical programs.
- Automous University of Barcelona
The Autonomous University of Barcelona is another large university in Barcelona. It has over 60,000 students and offers a variety of medical programs.
Private universities of medicine in Barcelona
- University of Vic
- Catalonia International University
These are the main schools that offer a medicine degree, but they also have a lot of related programmes as:
- doctoral programs
- biomedical sciences
- biomedical engineering
In 2021 University of Barcelona was ranked as the 64th best place to study medicine in the world, being the first Spanish university ranked.